Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Panorama

I took advantage of the sunshine on Sunday evening to try out my panorama skills. Shots were taken Kingston foreshore. Two panoramas are shown here a horizontal landscape, Panorama 1, and a vertical building shot, Panorama 2.

Panorama 1


Three images panning from left to right with swans in the foreground and Russell Officers in the background. Images imported from CF Card into Lightroom3 and then taken into PS5 using the LR3 Merge to Panorama in Photoshop.

These are the three images screen captured from LR3.


Screen capture of the images imported into PS showing the overlaps. 


Image as stitched. Note that you can see a faint line showing where the photos merged.



Merged photo cropped and edited. 



Panorama 2

Kingston Foreshore the Glassworks building. Four images used from the below LR3 screen capture, bottom three and the top right hand image. 



As with Panorama 1 images were loaded to LR3 and the sent to Panorama in PS5. Below is the resulting image. Obviously the perspective of the image is way off because the initial image had too much foreground thus distorting the overall merge. 



I could have deleted the above panorama and done it again only using 3 images without the one the included the parking lot, grass that caused the majority of the perspective problem. Rather than do that I decided to play with some other techniques. 

First I cropped the image eliminating the blacktop and the the concrete stops. Then I used the ruler tool to get the vertical straight, then used the Transform > distort > perspective to bring the image into a less falling over view and finally cropped to suit. 





While doing some panorama stitching I found there were some minor areas that did not align correctly. A quick search on the Internet found a tutorial with instruction of ways to fix misaligned panorama images. Fixing Panorama Alignment in Photoshop CS4  by Sean Duggan, 11 Nov 2009, http://layersmagazine.com/fixing-panorama-alignment-in-photoshop-cs4.html viewed 28 March 2012.


Panorama 3 Parliament House (image submitted for assignment)

Seven image stitch. Originally shot with the idea of having a large foreground in image with Parliament house further to the back to give the feeling of a large open space in the fore court. The stitch was not as pleasing as envisaged.  I chose to crop a substantial portion of the foreground giving the image a better feel and balance. I could have had the image totally devoid of people as there were periods when I was there that the space was completely empty and other times filled with bus loads of tourists. I waited until I could get a couple of people into the image to lend a sense of scale to it. Image 3 has a single subject and image 4 has three subjects, the one on the left being the same person as image 3. When stitched, due to the overlapping, photoshop discarded the portion of image 4 that contained the woman. I could have manually brought her back into the image by going into the layers and painting back the mask that hid her. My choice was to keep the minimal number of people in the image. The man in the foreground and the one closer to the building provided the sense of scale I wanted and the woman in the middle would not have added to the image. Another noticeable feature I chose to leave in the photo is the lone backpack on the ground on the left hand sided between the 4th and 5th bollard. While it would have been very easy to clone it out I enjoyed the irony of having a 'mystery package' sitting in the open and it gives something else for the viewer to consider, especially those security minded people. Could it be a bomb set for an unsuspecting tourist or security person or remote detonation when a tour group approaches? It actually belongs to the fellow in the foreground who was moving to the centre of the courtyard to take a photo.

   

  





Panorama 4 - Darling Harbour - My Favourite panorama BUT ...



Lost my nodal point.
This is probably my favourite of all the panoramas taken. Several of us made a trip to Sydney to attend a photo seminar starting after lunch so we decided to try get a few shots at Darling Harbour before we headed to the North Shore. We only had about 30-45 minutes to shoot. This shot was taken from the deck at the Maritime Museum before the security guard asked me to stop. There was a short delay having to deal with a security guard and going into the office to request authority/permission to photograph from someone in administration. There was no problem and we were granted permission to shoot.

The problem is I did not have a panorama head with me so took it just using a tripod and there are several places along the glass wall that don't match up. I tried using all the stitching modes in PS5 but in all cases still had the problem with the glass wall. I also tried manually fixing but could not restore the glass breaks. I tried reducing the number of images to try to save it. There are 10 images and I tried with 5 and 7. I also tried painting back some of the stitched masks. I didn't want to crop the image above the glass breaks because it would ruin the feel of the image.
Just goes to show that you don't always need special equipment but sometimes it sure would save the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment